Thursday, July 26, 2007

Marathon Woman

As many of you know, earlier this summer I began to train for a marathon. Having completed several half marathons over the last few years I thought it was time to give myself a bigger challenge. Along with my friend Karen, I enrolled in a Galloway Run/Walk Marathon Training Program in Mequon, Wisconsin.

To date the longest run we've completed was 19 miles along the lakefront. The run/walk format makes it fairly easy to go the distance with almost no soreness the next day. The only downside is that I am slow (almost walking pace slow-14 mins/mile for the long distances, 11 min/mile for shorter distances). Im hoping that now that my endurance is where I need to be, my pace will pick up. At this point the runs will be shorter (10-12 miles for the weekly long run) until it gets closer to February, so I can work on pace.

The marathon I've chosen to participate in is the Galloway Breast Cancer Marathon in Jacksonville, Florida on February 17, 2008. I would love for any friends and family to join me either as a participant (there's still plenty of time to train) or a supporter who just comes along for the fun.

Ill keep you posted on my runs and progress.

1 comment:

karen forman said...

Hi Marathon woman.

Yes, it's a wonderful experience to be running/walking (except when we get up in the middle of the night to beat the heat and it's still 77 degrees at 4 am!). The walking part has saved my knees, but my capacity for long distances and greater speed just continues to get better with this approach.

Pay Your Weigh (PYW) has also saved me. I marvel at how committed I continue to be in this program. It works! The support from the members; the feeling of being part of a team challenge; and the simple monetary incentive all make it happen for me.

Thanks for your wisdom in continuing to develop this marvelous program and kudos to all the group members who continue to show their commitment and PAY THEIR WEIGH!

Karen